Everybody loves Halloween and the idea of trick-or-treating – adults included. Children with spinal cord injuries can join in the fun and even incorporate their wheelchair into their costumes. Here are some special considerations:
For a kid that rolls, almost any costume can be made wheelchair-friendly. And they don’t have to be expensive to be fun.
Kids can opt to be anything from vampires to royalty. For your little princesses, a wheelchair can be made into a magic coach or fancy limousine. For those sporty ‘lil guys, a wheelchair can be a fast fantasy car or a speeding train engine.
A wheelchair makes a great accessory to a conductor’s costume or even an astronaut’s costume. There are no limits but your imagination.
Some Easy Safety Tips to Consider:
- Be sure that whatever you attach to the wheelchair can be easily and swiftly removed, and won’t get caught in the wheels.
- Use nontoxic paints and be careful about attaching sharp objects or things that a child can remove and put in his mouth.
- Be sure that what you make can fit through a standard door.
Other Helpful Tips for Halloween Day:
- Instead of trick-or-treating – bring the party to your child: Host the fun and games in an environment your child already knows and can navigate. Create accessible games with all the same treats (and more) that your child would normally collect by going door-to-door.
- Scout your route: Take a quick walk (without your child) through a safe neighborhood to see if you can find some homes (or maybe a high rise with an elevator) where he or she can collect the goods.
- Plan ahead for the costume your child wants. Use Pinterest to collect ideas.
- Ask a close buddy (or two) go out along with your child that understands they should stay alongside the whole time.
If you want to see a some over-the-top costumes built by a man with passion for wheelchair costumes – check this out. http://www.magicwheelchair.org/
It was an inspiring article. I consider this product http://www.portashopper.com which is very helpful for kids with disabilities to join this event unforgettable and help them feel convenient in any activities.